Honeycomb is partnering exclusively with our Legal Sector client, The Bar of NI, to recruit an experienced 'Policy & Communications Manager'. Excellent Package, Permanent role, Belfast.
The Client - The Bar Library operates with functionality to promote the highest standards of practice and to safeguard clients and the public interest. It's Council serves the public interest in regulating all practising barristers in Northern Ireland through the Professional Conduct Committee. In doing so, managing both internal and external communications together with strategic adherence to policies is of utmost importance.
The Role - Reporting to CEO, this opportunity has arisen to recruit an effective 'Policy & Communications Manager'. Duties will include but not be limited to the following & please note, further details re' package will be disclosed throughout application process.
- Leadership of the Policy and Communications Team, including line management responsibility for up to two members of staff and oversight of the team's budget.
- Being accountable for ensuring that the Policy & Communications department performs an effective and progressive role in supporting the policy development, representation, stakeholder management and both internal and external engagement activities of the Bar.
- Preparing high quality and timely responses to Government legislative and policy proposals, alongside representing the Bar at meetings with the Department of Justice, Legal Services Agency and other statutory bodies. Deputising for the CEO in these engagements as required
- Coordinating the Bar's lobbying and outreach activity with elected political representatives in the NI Executive, NI Assembly and Westminster, acting as a key point of contact and promoting the relevance of the independent referral Bar. Represent the Bar at evidence sessions before Committees of the Northern Ireland Assembly as appropriate.
- Providing strategic advice and support to office holders to maximise the effectiveness of their engagement with key Government stakeholders.
- Developing and maintaining excellent working relationships with a range of high-profile stakeholders, including other professional representative bodies across the UK, RoI and internationally (including CCBE/other Bars).
- Stakeholder Communications, Project & Change Management.
The Person - Please note, only candidates who meet the full criterion will be considered & hence contacted to complete an Application Pack:
Undergraduate degree with an award of 2:1 or above. Degree should be in the areas of either Law and/or Public Policy and/or Communication/Public Affairs.
Excellent knowledge of political lobbying
Knowledge of NI Political Governance & key figures of relevance
- Excellent IT skills/ Use of Digital tools and platforms for effective Communications
Experience of establishing appropriate governance framework and internal policies and procedures relating to communications and policy development activity.
- Desirable: Proven policy development experience, gained from employment in one or more of the following:
- I. political party, either as elected representative or in a policy function;
- I. Civil Service or related agency;
- I. Assembly or Parliamentary Service;
- Policy or public affairs research and monitoring post in similar organisation or agency.
To speak in absolute confidence about this opportunity please send an up to date CV via the link provided or contact Claire McCleery, Specialist Consultant at Honeycomb on 02896 207050.
If you have a disability which means you require assistance at any stage of the recruitment process, please contact us directly to discuss.
Honeycomb is committed to providing equality of opportunity to all.