MCS Group are extremely proud to partner once again with TP ICAP as they search for a Java Engineer to join their rapidly expanding Belfast based team. This company is extremely proud to be working with the very best Java engineers in the country and therefore reward their employees accordingly!
TP ICAP play a pivotal role in the world's financial markets, covering FX, Rates, Credit, Equities, Energy & Commodities. As a FTSE 250 fintech company their clients include banks, insurance companies, pension and hedge funds, energy producers and more. This opportunity is amazing for an ambitious engineer with a passion for Java development and aspirations to work with the newest technologies, alongside the most talented engineers in the country!
What you will be doing:
Development, Architecture, SDLC and Delivery
- Act as a technical developer on a team, demonstrating good technical competencies and a desire to improve those competencies to become a valued and independent contributor to the team.
- Be capable of engaging in the analysis and design for assigned work and where possible contribute.
- With support from the Senior and Principal Engineers participate in the design, development and testing of software changes or features and ensure that they successfully deploy into a production setting.
- With support from the Senior and Principal Engineers be capable of contributing to the development of complex systems and make modifications to existing systems.
- Be able to communicate the architecture and principles behind a system to other member of the team.
- Support the use of preferred planning and prioritisation tooling to capture and track deliveries, identify issues and help with iteration planning and prioritisation.
- Be proactive in supporting the team's engagement in a well-defined SDLC that supports planning, prioritisation and delivery needs.
- Support the team through helping estimation of work to be done by leveraging previous experience and by discussing requirements and potential solutions with other team members.
- Learn to recognise patterns in the software systems so that it is possible to have meaningful conversations about wider system architecture with the Senior and Principal Engineers.
- Learn how to evolve systems towards state architecture through the use of directed refactoring and prioritisation of deliveries.
Communication and Team Participation
- Under the direction from the Senior and Principal Engineers ensure that best practice and architectural strategy is being followed effectively.
- Participate in retrospectives and seek opportunities to drive best practice.
- Be supportive of other team members where possible and help ensure value in activities such as code reviews and seek opportunities to share experience and knowledge with other team members.
- Seek to become a reliable contributor with only minima supervision and support.
Change, Risk and Issue Management
- Support team in identifying and escalating risks as appropriate in timely manner
- Work with SEs and Test Engineers to help triage and prioritise issues.
- Participate in Root Cause Analysis for production issues as needed.
- Work with team members to provide time and resource estimates, and where possible identify potential areas of risk and suggest mitigating actions.
- Use tools and methodologies to support the effectiveness of the development process.
- Assist and facilitate prioritisation of software defects and enhancements.
- Degree or equivalent industry experience
- Enterprise system experience
- Experience of the full software development lifecycle in a technical role.
- Experience of using a programming language in a professional environment.
- Experience of using agile tooling to support team delivery.
- Experience of being part of delivering platforms and services involving multiple teams.
- Experience of a general purpose scripting language (such as Python, Perl, Ruby).
- Linux shell or Windows powershell experience.
- Experience of contribution to open source projects.
To speak in absolute confidence about this opportunity please send an up-to-date CV via the link provided or contact Scott Agnew, Service Delivery Consultant at MCS Group 028 9049 0863.
Even if this position is not right for you, we may have others that are. Please visit MCS Group to view a wide selection of our current jobs www.mcsgroup.jobs or give us a call 028 9023 5456.
All conversations will be treated in the strictest of confidence.