Are you Ready to Make the Lucrative Step from a Call Centre to a Career in IT Sales?
5 July 2017
The contact centre industry provides Northern Ireland with an important volume of jobs and is key part of the local economy. For many it offers a sound employment option but for others it is very often a stepping stone to the next career move, whatever this may be.
Making the move into IT Sales, for an actual product vendor rather a reseller or lead generation partner, is one of the most attractive stepping stones you can choose to make and Northern Ireland’s expanding tech community means that there are now a growing number of career options.
What are the attractions?
- Remuneration – You can expect a salary increase and often uncapped commission.
- Skills advancement – You can expect training focused on developing both your product/sector knowledge, IT systems skills and professional sales and account management techniques.
- Career Opportunity – IT Sales opens up a breadth of opportunities in the local and global marketplace and there is plenty of mobility from one technology area to another.
- Job Satisfaction – Moving away from scripted and repetitive activities, IT sales allows you get more involved in the sales process, understanding the client requirements and seeing the initial prospect converting into your loyal customer.
If you are interested in making the jump, here are the core requirements you must have.
- Positive Attitude & Mentality – motivated to succeed and resilient against short term setbacks.
- Clear Communication Skills – verbal and written skills should be at an appropriate level to have dialogue with senior director level stakeholders.
- Track Record in Outbound b2b Sales – your sales achievements should stand out. If you are in an inbound environment or working on b2c accounts, do your best to push into another team.
- Appetite and Capacity to Learn – you will be required to pick-up product and market information quickly and this often requires an investment of your time out of the office. This is not a career if you rely on being spoon-fed information.
- Interest in Technology – you don’t have to be a programmer or a technology junkie but you will be dealing with technical clients and operating in an environment that will require you to be up to speed with technology news. Passion and knowledge are key sales tools.
MCS Group work with a breadth of IT companies, recruiting sales and marketing candidates from entry or graduate level up to senior directors. If you are interested in finding out more or are looking for some advice in this area please contact a member of the team on 028 9023 5456. You can also view current vacancies on www.mcsgroup.jobs/sectors/sales-marketing